2.0
Ease of Use
Style and Design

Update by user Feb 04, 2016

I wrote to the attention of Panasonic’s president and some low-level person answered my complaint with the usual evasive stuff that the warranty had expired and that there was nothing that they could, or more importantly, would do.

My reading is that as long as Panasonic treats all customers as minor irritants they can claim to be fair with unsatisfied customers, even those like me who had spent over US25,000 dollars for their products when I built my house and used all Panasonic products. Panasonic is producing almost everything outside of Japan now, and the poor quality is showing.

Original review posted by user Sep 17, 2015

On the 8th of May 2014 I purchased a Panasonic VIERA 50V flat screen television at the cost of ¥142,340- (TH-50AS630 VIERA SN: UB4230062. The TV was very good quality in both picture and sound. We were very satisfied with our choice.

However, on the 14th of August 2015, exactly 15 months after we purchased the TV the it suddenly went dark. We called Panasonic Customer Service and were told that because of the holiday, it would be a while before a Service personnel could come and see what the problem was.

On the afternoon of the 12th August the service repairman came and told us that the TV was indeed broken. The LCD failed for no apparent reason. A repair could be made but the cost would be high, at least ¥60,000-.

The Repair personnel told us that he would speak with his supervisor and request that the repair be conducted at a lower cost since he understood that the failure of the product so soon after the warranty period was stressful for us.

The next week he called and told us that his supervisor refused to allow any reduction of the repair cost and that if we wished to have the TV repaired, we would have to pay Panasonic ¥60,000-. Since we purchased the TV, the same model today cost ¥80,000-, so we were basically being asked to pay almost 90% of the current retail price for a repair that seems to me to be a quality problem by Panasonic.

I have lived in Japan for 43 years, and have always had a very high regard for Japanese products and their quality and durability. For a TV to last barely over a year is unimaginable to me. I was also very surprised by the service decisions of Panasonic, by basically telling us that we were not valued as customers.

Eight years ago, I built a new house in Tokyo and I specifically asked for Panasonic/National products to be used in our new home. As a result, we purchased Panasonic/National for the following items:

- National Front Load Washing Machine: NA-V81

- National Heat Pump System: HE-37W1Q

- Panasonic Door Camera: VL-MW 230X

- Panasonic Air Conditioner: CS-401CXR2

- Panasonic Refrigerator: NR-F455T-W

I have always liked and respected Panasonic and National products for their durability and quality and have spent a lot of my hard-earned money with them over the years (the National Heat Pump System alone cost me over ¥1,000,000-), but after this experience, my faith in Panasonic and their quality, not to mention their really disgusting after sales support, is gone now.

A representative of Panasonic called me after I sent a complaint to the President of Panasonic, and all he could say is sorry! not once but over and over again. What a joke the company is!

After being so disappointed in Panasonic I purchased a “Made in Japan” Sharp TV, and in future, I will do everything I can to avoid Panasonic. For anyone considering anything Panasonic BEWARE!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Panasonic Refrigerator.

I liked: Personal were friendly.

I didn't like: Ignoring problem, Warranty yikes.

Comments

Kampala, Kampala, Uganda #1175948

I really don't understand why such an Electronics giant like Panasonic moved from Osaka, Japan to those countries infamous for manufacturing very poor quality products. No wonder it's been making losses. The sooner they realize this and return manufacturing to Japan for quality and durable products, the better for them.

PanasonicTeam

Thank you for taking the time to provide your experience. Panasonic North America has just started reviewing this site.

Please use the below link to reach out to support in your country.